Setting Limits for Kids
- Order water at restaurants. Ask for lemon and lots if ice.
- If you order soft drinks at restaurants, don’t get refills. You can easily add 300 calories with one refill of a large drink.
- Come up with a limit you’re comfortable with and stick to it. Some families say “one sweet drink a day”, others say “one a week” other say “on special occasions only”. Little known secret: kids actually like limits (at some level!). It makes them feel safe to know that someone is looking out for them.
- Role model drinking water often and sweet drinks only occasionally.
- Don’t bring a lot of sweet drinks in the house. Kids will drink what’s in front of them.